Posture is a very important part of your personality. It’s necessary to develop an elegant posture- while standing, walking or even sitting. If the posture is not correct the breathing is also affected. It becomes shallow. Shallow breathing is not good for speech. The voice is impaired and becomes feeble. So even from the point of view of effective communication, good posture is a must. Recommended standing position of an elegant posture is described below:
- The feet may be slightly apart.
- The general disposition of the weight should be slightly forwards.
- The pelvis should be above the instep.
- The torso should be directly above the pelvis; neither in front of nor behind it.
- The abdominal muscles should feel braced without tension.
- The torso should feel raised, but not stretched, away from the pelvis.
- The shoulders should be directly above the pelvis and should be in line with the breastbone at the front.
- The head should feel well balanced immediately above the shoulders. It should be neither in advance of them nor behind them.
- The chain should be in a medical position, neither showing the underside of the jaw, nor pulled back allowing a ‘double-chin’ to form.